Experience The Evolution of SILENT Brass™ with Eric Miyashiro
Hear world-renowned trumpet player Eric Miyashiro using the new SILENT Brass and experience the improved sound powered by Brass Resonance Modeling.
What is Silent Brass™?
Yamaha’s next generation SILENT Brass delivers greater playing enjoyment, anytime, anywhere.
The new SILENT Brass consists of a smaller, lighter, freer blowing Pickup Mute, and the Personal Studio, which features Yamaha’s exclusive Brass Resonance Modeling.
Used together, the two deliver the natural acoustic tone you hear when playing without a mute, making it feel as though you are playing mute free.
Lightweight and Compact - Pickup Mute™
Significantly smaller and lighter than previous versions, the mute offers superior muting performance, delivers excellent intonation in all ranges, and natural playability.
Easy to attach and remove
New mutes are designed to attach and remove smoothly and easily.
Fits neatly inside the bell
A new compact design now lets you put your instrument in its case with the mute in the bell.
- *Pickup Mute for flugelhorn protrudes 3-4 cm from the bell.
- *In some cases, the Pickup Mute may not fit instruments that have significantly different bell diameters and/or shapes. Please refer to the “Compatibility Table” on each product page and check before purchasing
So light you’ll forget it’s in your horn.
Significantly lighter than previous models, these new mutes offer better instrument balance when in the bell and greatly reduce stress when playing.
Specially designed mini microphone
Microphone performance, it’s mounting position, and the surrounding mute design were all optimized to bring out the full potential of Brass Resonance Modeling
Powered by Brass Resonance Modeling™
Yamaha’s original digital technology produces a truer tone without a mute by adding the characteristics of the acoustic environment through which the sound travels from the horn to the player’s ears.
It is recommended to listen to the sound with headphones or earphones.
The SILENT Brass features Yamaha’s unique technology, “Brass Resonance Modeling” which uses the modeling of non-muted brass instruments to correct your instrument’s tone when the Pickup Mute is in place. With a combination of a Personal Studio STX and a Pickup Mute, the resulting sound is so realistic, it’s hard to tell whether the instrument is muted, or not.
Brass Resonance Modeling utilizes three simultaneous processes to produce the realistic tone of the brass instrument
Eliminate the “Mute” Sound
Digital processing applied to the sound received by the mute’s microphone effectively cancels the sonic characteristics of the mute.
Another digital process brings back the natural sound of the un-muted instrument, and adds the characteristics of the acoustic environment through which the sound travels before returning to the player’s ears, making it sound as if you are playing without a mute at all.
Adjust Left/Right Balance
Digitally simulating how the sound returns to your ears—adjusting for the slight differences in volume, timbre, and delay between your left and right ears—and adding reverb constructs a virtual sound scape that makes it sound like you are playing in a large room or concert hall.
Suggestion - More Enjoyment With The New SILENT Brass™
Connect the Personal Studio with an audio player or a smartphone to enjoy playing along with your favorite music.
Connect the output from an audio player, smartphone, etc. to the AUX IN jack on the Personal Studio and enjoy playing along with your favorite recordings or “minus one” practice aids. The PHONES jack can also be used as an output jack for recording what you play.
- * Do not use the AUX IN jack when using the PHONES jack as an output jack.
- * Cable sold separately.
This is a collection of artists' first reactions to the new SILENT Brass, powered by the innovative new Brass Resonance Modeling.
Experience the Evolution of SILENT Brass for Yourself.
* Euphonium/tuba SILENT Brass not shown.Artists list close
- Jens Lindemann
- International soloist
Professor at UCLA
- Eric Berlin
- Principal trumpet of Albany Symphony Orchestra
Visiting assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- James Thompson
- Professor at the Eastman School of Music
- Frits Damrow
- Professor at the University of the Arts in Zürich
Principal trumpet of the Sinfonieorchester Basel
- Eric Aubier
- International soloist
Professor at the Conservatoire National de Région de Rueil-Malmaison
- Frank Brodahl
- International Soloist, Musical Director of Norwegian Wind Ensemble
- Vicente Campos
- Professor of Trumpet at Conservatorio Superior de Música de Valencia
- Sean Billings
- An active player in the Los Angeles freelance scene
- Sal Cracchiolo
- A member of Tower of Power
- Francisco Torres
- The trombonist and musical director for the Grammy-Award winning Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band, as well as a member of Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band
- Andy Martin
- A world-class jazz musician
The lead trombonist and featured soloist with Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band
- Mike McCoy
- Lead horn with the traveling Broadway shows Lion and is an active movie and commercial recording artist as well as is a symphony orchestra player
- Rob Frear
- Director of brass studies at California State University, Long Beach
A member of Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
SILENT Brass™ for Tuba, Euphonium
Experience The Evolution of SILENT Brass™ with Sérgio Carolino
World-renowned tuba virtuoso Sérgio Carolino introduces Yamaha’s new SILENT Brass model for tuba.
An adjustable rod allows the position of the mute head to be varied to achieve the desired pitch and playing feel.
Not only can the player adjust the mute to fit different bell sizes and match his or her own pitch and playing feel preferences, this capability allows the same tuba mute to be used with B♭, C, E♭, and F horns.
Disassemble to Compact Size
The disassembled mute body halves can be stacked for compact storage.
The pickup mutes for tuba and euphonium can be disassembled and the body halves stacked for compact storage. The next video shows how the mutes can be easily assembled.
- * The video shows the tuba model. The same assembly procedure applies to the euphonium mute.
- * The euphonium pickup mute does not have an adjustment scale on the rod (extend about 2~3 centimeters from fully inserted for appropriate positioning).
Let’s enjoy with SILENT Brass™！
Combine SILENT Brass with electronic devices for a whole new world of creative possibilities.
Check out this performance by Japanese tuba and euphonium duo TubamanShow duo using a line6 M9 Stompbox Modeler multi-effect unit.
Sneak Peek at ITEC 2016
We asked artists visiting ITEC 2016 (International Tuba – Euphonium Conference) to try out the new SILENT Brass™ models for tuba and euphonium prior to release.
Here's how they reacted to the natural sound and playing feel provided by the new models.
* SILENT Brass includes stereo earphones.
Headphones shown here are sold separatery.